Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Flowers That Were Popular for Funerals in 1914.

[See] My previous post was based on the funeral home cards that I discovered in a little white box that I took charge of, when my father passed away in 2000, (along with a lot of other family history).

Not sure if I can find out more on Google about Funeral Flowers, but here is a delicate and subtle web site:  http://www.lizleeflowers.com/sympathy.  I wonder if different historic periods called for different flowers?  So, in my great grandfather's funeral card, sent in 1914, the choices that were made...were they in any way, significant of the times?

There were not a lot of cards, but the choices of flowers purchased for this funeral which took place in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, were repeated more than one time.

Gladioli:   This reminds me of my grandmother, Alice Settles.  I have a lovely picture of her holding a "spray" of these flowers.  Mother took a lot of care that her garden would also feature this flower and it became one of my favorites (though I don't have a garden).  


Asters seemed to be very popular, also (in various colors).







Finally, I discovered the existence of "Horace Reed" or is it "Horace Read " Daisies?  Which are also called "Shasta" daisies

To learn more about daisies, access this website:
https://www.almanac.com/plant/shasta-daisies.

What flowers to send to a funeral:  These might include gladioli, snapdragons, lilies, standard chrysanthemums, carnations and roses. Small-scale flowers in mid- to small-size designs are usually used for sending to the home. Only family members who are arranging the funeral should order flowers for the casket.

No comments: