Thursday, November 24, 2005

Letter to Aunt Lula

My dad's mother was Eunice Tucker. Her oldest sister was Lula Tucker (md. Gill). In 1895, Lula received a letter from her grandmother, Sarah Ann (nee Perkins) Lloyd. This is years after Sarah Ann she divorced Samuel Moses Tucker.

I have the actual 1895 letter and will try to get it scanned, soon. Meanwhile, here is the transcription:

From Manning, South Carolina
Nov. 23, 1895

Miss Lula Tucker: My dear grandaughter, I now try to seat myself long enough to write you a few lines in reply to yours of Nov. 1 which I rec'd today one week ago and I liked not to ans it now for you want to know too many things more than I no myself. I am not don going to school yet. You will have to wait till I am don going my mind is not capable of giving much information [age 69]. My mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Kingdell. she came from England when she was quite young. My father's name was Richard Perkins, born in S.C. don't know what county. Each one [was] some 75 or 80 when they died.

I had three 3 sisters on mother's side and one brother name[d] HENRY BIRCH HOLLADAY & NANCY HOLLADAY & SUSANNAH HOLLAND [probably HOLLADAY], ELIZABETH HOLLADAY, all now dead and I had 2 borthers and 1 sister on Father's side, Isaac Enos Perkins, Thomas Sumter Perkins, Harriet Elender or Elender Perkins all half sisters and brothers, all dead.

I was born in S.C. I guess in Clarendon Co. in the date of 1826, the 30 of Sept. That is the best I can do. I rec'd a letter from your father [Samuel Richard Tucker, son of Samuel Moses Tucker] some time I rec'd yours dated 20 Oct. [He] said all was well. Said he was going to try to visit S.C. 1st of Dec. Hope he can. Well, I don't no what more to say only hope you will do well. Be a good girl and a good Christian. I had like to forget Henry Griffin. Sais you must pick him out a sweetheart. Well you must write soon. Hope you have got well of your cold before now. I remain as ever your loving grandmother, S. A. Lloyd

You or your father one sent me a stamp. I opened both the letters setting down and when I got up I saw the stamp on the floor much obliged to which ever it was.

2 comments:

joan said...

Thanks so much for publishing this letter from Sarah Perkins Lloyd. Samuel Moses Tucker was my great grandfather. Nicy Rebecca DeWitte was my great grandfather. My grandmother was Sabra Alice Tucker. It is always nice to find letters or stories about our ancestors - it makes genealogy so much more personal. I did hear a story once about Sarah Perkins meeting Nicy Rebecca. The meeting was very friendly and they chatted for some time. Not sure when or where the meeting was.
Also, does anyone have the story about Samuel Richard Tucker and the civil war? What does the name Richard Felmont have to do with Samuel Richard Tucker? Thanks. Joan

Family History Hat said...

I have inherited my father's genealogy and family history files; I will look to see what other stories I need to post, what other historical info I have. I am really excited to know of someone who is related to Nicy Rebecca; I have been drawn to what I perceive as her courageous migration to the West after S.M. Tucker's death. There are many questions that I would love to ask about her and the family she had with Samuel Moses. All I can remember right now about Samuel Richard Tucker, my grandmother's father, in so far as the alias name "Felmet" is concerned is that he assumed this name to avoid being "persecuted" for desserting or something; I'll have to do some research on this. I have hundreds of ancestral names and facts running through my head, so the written form of my history is invaluable to my recall.