Sunday, November 14, 2004

From a diary note of Wiley Benjamin Hill, Jr., my dad:

8 May 1984: Our home teachers are coming. They gave a beautiful message to us. How to have love and harmony in the home. The message "Cornerstones to a Happy Home." Have:
  1. Mutual Respect
  2. The Soft Answer
  3. Financial Honesty

with the Lord, with your companion, with your neighbors. Have Family Prayer. The Lord will bless you as you do these things.

I'm so grateful for my home teachers. Bro. Grant Adams & John Barrow. For 36 years I lived with a wonderful woman who is worth a dozen like me, but she wasn't a member of my church. I gave her back parsimonious love. Because of my dear home teachers, who taught her the gospel, she announced quite unexpectedly one day that if I still had my white baptism clothes handy, I could lead her into the baptismal font. You could have knowcked me over with a turkey feather. [Some miscellaneous names follow this entry, I know not why! They are Brother Ira Thompson, Bro. Joel and his father, _____Harmon].

10 Feb 1985: I have been reading in D&C. My soul is filled with joy reading of the organization of the church. I found in my sister's Latin book, "Latin is a dead language and now it's killing me". [miscellaneous remark--"Some people, like turkeys, gobble up gossip, just because it's dirt cheap".]

No comments: