Friday, February 20, 2004

Using a Census Timeline. I do this just to get a feel for my ancestor's chronology. I list all the vital records dates that I know, along with any of the place info. Using the Census Timeline Form, I mark out all the census years that do not apply. I then estimate how old my ancestor is at the time each census during his lifetime was done.

Using google, I indicate that I want 1850 census information for choctaw county, alabama. The first of the results I get back sends me to a usgenweb/rootsweb site where I look through the index. Hill is on page 149A, 196B and 197A. The actual text of the census is also available through this link.

I find Joel Hill, age 28, male, a planter, born in SC, Page #1966. He is living with Mary A., age 26, (his wife), from SC. Children are Burtha?, age 6, b. in AL, John, age 4, b. in AL, and Margaret E., age 2 in AL. I believe this person to be a member of this family, but do not find John age eight.

No comments: